Tuloy po (Welcome)

Tuloy! Come on in and enter into my world. This is my own version of a "travelogue". If you can relate to any of my experiences I'd love to hear from you. Enjoy.

Friday, September 17, 2010

Strine II

Nuances of Australian English took me a while to get.  Only when I began noticing people other than my dear hubby using words the same way did I stop taking offense---umm something like two years ha! Two years of angst, most of it needless but some needful. Very early on in my migration I had resolved in my mind to gamely climb the steep learning curve of adjusting to a new culture. The onus was on me being the immigrant. The steep learning curve of adjusting to a husband is another matter (see Adjusting to Adjusting). Some of the more common aussieisms that threw me for a loop:


blank look
I couldn't tell you. Or else what? You'll have to kill me? I asked, wondering what the big secret was. I couldn't tell you. He repeated with a blank, end-of-discussion look on his face. I didn't know then that the blank look was genuine. My patience was running thin. What's the big deal?? Why couldn't you tell me??!! Ready to strangle him. He, on the other hand was getting more and more bewildered by my insistence over what to his mind was clearly nothing. Literally. His learned response to my growing annoyance and utter confusion is like fuel to fire---silence. Arrrrggghh. I couldn't tell you is Strine for "I don't know". I had come to that understanding after many a frustrating moment. My powers of observation do not seem to work when it comes to my nearest and dearest. Only from hearing it often enough from other folks, not so near nor dear, did I deduce the meaning. Yes, dear Watson, one must be objective for one to come to the correct conclusion. Ahhh, Sherlock I am not. For some reason, it is quite uncommon for Aussies to say "I don't know" when they can say I couldn't tell you. Why? I couldn't tell you.


Or not. Are you coming to the barbie or not? Will they be flying with us or not? Would you like a drink or not?  Relax. Not meant to be an ultimatum, just an expression. I've had to consciously dissociate my instinctive defensive reaction at the words from interfering with the innocence of the question. Must take the tone into consideration, always. And it's usually warm and friendly. Phew. My aggressive American training really has no place here. In fact, aggressive behaviour is frowned upon among country folk. Laid back, relaxed, warm and genteel, it really isn't necessary. Aggressive behaviour is associated with drinking and the low-ed, low-income bracket, the ferals. 
feral camels are considered pests in WA
That's another aussieism. It can also refer to stray animals, unwanted. Feral cats. feral goats, feral camels (yes, there are camels here). Feral folksfrom how I've observed the term used, are probably the equivalent of the squatters in Manila. Although, there aren't technically any of that in Au, the lack of social manners would put them in the same class. No class. Uncouth. Low breeding. Inbreeding. Yes, there is a dark side to any culture after all. No matter how prosperous. Stan and I have a standing joke--every tiny town we pass through we break into the opening riffs of the banjo in "The Deliverance". Can you hear it? If you're there longer than two blinks you won't (joke, don't shoot!).
typical small town, popn < 200. wheat silo at back
Half past. The time is half past ten. Let's meet at half past seven for dinner. A variation could be--Tea will be served at a quarter to one. Or Conference starts at a quarter past two. Get it? I've never heard a native say the exact time to the minute even when they're looking at a digital watch! Bit softer with the time. Not exacting. Quite Filipino in that they too are not very strict with time but not as abusive with it like the infamous "Filipino time". Aussies allow for a few minutes late start to anything. Not a whole hour or more.


Aussie Rules football is HUGE in Au you reckon? Yeah naah.
Yeah naah. So what is it, yes or no? Both. Confused? Just go with it. It's a very safe way to say you agree but not quite. It seems like a good way to deliver an honest opinion without outrightly disagreeing. "Geelong is the best footy team ever you reckon?" "Yeah naah Carlton's won more premierships overall." Similar to how Pinoys say "siguro" or add "naman" so we don't sound disagreeable. Although soft is not a word commonly used to describe Aussies, it seems appropriate when it comes to expressing themselves. Simply add the gruff no-nonsense tone.
You right? This one's easy. Shortcut for "You alright?" I'm right. A much used aussieism--You'll be right mate. Offering reassurance. They're so tough nothing can ruffle them. At least they like to think so. In my work with communities in drought, I find this to be the biggest barrier to recovery. This very coping mechanism becomes a convenient cop-out. Similar to the Pinoy "Bahala na." Only diff is Pinoys tend to lean on a Higher Being whereas Aussies tend to lean on themselves. A balance between the two would be perfect, in my opinion. 


Shits.I never knew there's a plural for it. Like you's (see "Strine English"). The isolation has caused them to make up their own rules it seems. Got the shits. Unhappy, upset, angry, hormonal, menopausal, wait that's me ha!


I reckon. Originating from the Pommies (Brits), it means "I think so." Reckon and think seem to be interchangeable here. Can also mean to agree or believe something to be right. You reckon I have a hope in hell of mastering strine? I reckon. Smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment